Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sunday 30.6: Bench press, rowing and squats + handstand walk

Sunday. AM: Bench press singles 1-1-1-1-1 (max 100kg, PR). Metcon. 1k row, then 40 bench press (70kg), 1k row. Each time you rack the barbell, perform 15 air squats. Time 16.11. PM: Handstand walking.

Time to put the PR-shirt on and head to the gym. There was no room for error this time. I wrote it to my calendar a week ago that today I'm gonna break that damned 100kg in bench press. And the metcon to follow is a light version of what I've seen Blair Morrison do in the past. What he did was sick, I took it a bit easier.



Strength. Bench press 1-1-1-1-1 (70, 80, 90, 95, PR 100kg). No doubt about that 100k coming up. I only took couple of sets with empty bar and one set of 5x60 for starters, then started adding weights. This far I've done sets of 3 or 5 reps before I've tried that magical boundary to be crossed. Today my clear strategy was to do only singles. That 95kg was no problem, it felt good and I knew 100kg would come up as well. And it fit, had to work for it but it was a rep, PR!

Bench, 95kg

Bench, 100kg, PR


Metcon. Time 16.11

  • 1k row
  • 40 bench press, 70kg
  • 1k row
  • Every time you rack the barbell, perform 15 air squats on the spot

I saw this workout performed by Blair Morrison and fell in love with the wod immediately. He did 2k row in the beginning and in the end, plus he completed 100 bench presses in between… Well, my wod consisted of 1k row and 50 reps of bench press. Unfortunately, as I re-counted the presses after the workout, I realized I had miscalculated and done only 40 reps, doup! What a rookie mistake. In that adrenalize flow I was sure I had done 50 but luckily I wrote those reps on paper and Pauliina asked my reps afterwards. That's when it hit me. So I obviously did 40 reps. Had I done 50 reps, it would have been probably 3 more bench sets.

The time after first kilometer in rowing was around 3.30 (1.45/500m), steady pace. It got my heart rate up and it was time to move on to the bench. Transition took some time as I knew I have to put a lot of effort in the first set of bench as I was aiming for 10 reps. Can't do that many 70kg presses when fatigue bothers. I got those ten reps and moved on to first set of air squats. I completed those bench presses in 7 sets so I had to do 6x15 air squats, not a bad amount of squats in one workout. It was definitely the easy part of the wod. I remember Blair doing 22 sets of squats. In those quantities, it's gonna hit you, no doubt about it. And he did 100 reps with bodyweight, huh.

Those bench sets were 10+8+6+4+4+4+4. The first two sets I felt strong and the barbell was moving nicely. Third one was still okay but from then on I managed only 4 reps at once. Finally I was happy to completing all those reps and it was time to get that last rowing kilometer done. The speed was fast, the digital screen on the rowing machine showed a pace of 1.38/500m for the first 300m. I realized it's not gonna be that for long but it simply felt so good in the beginning. I had to utilize that feeling because it was 100% sure it's gonna hurt in the end. And it did! In the middle my pace got slower and I felt the pain, little by little the pain crawled in. I felt my abs, legs and upper body in general being tense and hurt but the goal line was looming so kept on stroking. Got to 1.000m at 16.11.

A good workout to say the least! I think this one might be renewed after some time and this one with correct numbers, 50 reps and let's see what kind of weights. 70kg worked well today, it was perfect for the purpose I was looking for. Distance in the rowing was also good, don't even want to imagine what it would be like with 2k row in both end…

Handstand walking. In the afternoon we went outdoors to our back yard with Pauliina to play around. I concentrated in handstand walk. This time my goal was not just to stabilize myself but to walk forward. PR was about 3-4 meters. Take a look at some attempts below.





No comments:

Post a Comment