Thursday, June 13, 2013

Thursday 13.6: Squats

Wednesday. Doubles in overhead squat, front squat, back squat.

It's been a while since previous rest day and I believe the time to chill is close. My body wasn't at it's  best with the doubles. Still, I was close to a PR in one of the squats. Overhead, front and back squats, some cycling in the end to flush the legs.

Strength. Squat doubles. Easy on the back squat

  • Overhead squat 2-2-2-2 (50, 55, 60, 65kg, 70 failed)
  • Front squat 2-2-2-1 (100, 110, 120, 125kg)
  • Back squat 2-2-2 (100, 110, 120kg)

Main goal was to perform well in the overhead squats. My legs were okay but other than that my body feels a bit stiff. Had scheduled something rough for tomorrow but got to lighten it definitely. I wonder if something has suddenly happened to my overhead squats? Just like that I feel way more comfortable having the bar overhead in a wide grip. And lowering my ass, I still felt good and had no troubles lowering hip crease below knees. Awesome!

I took only doubles today because I wanted to do also front squats (and maybe some back squats). Starting from 50kg, adding 5kg after every set. My previous record was a single rep with 65kg. That time I got it perfectly only after second try. Today I managed 2 reps with that same weight and it felt very good. I was confident of nailing 70kg as well. I tried it twice, failed on both of them. On the first time my hands leaned forward just a little but too much and you know the moment is gone.

I tried it again and something freaky happened. On my behind the neck press I wasn't able to lock my other elbow and the barbell started to come back down. It's difficult to stop that gravity and I definitely can not lower it to my back rack position. So the bar started coming down towards my back / neck so I had to watch out and I moved the barbell in front of me to drop it. Luckily I was able to get my head from under the bar. It was close and kinda scared me. I would have nailed the OHS, I'm sure, the 65kg felt so good. Have to wait for the next time to pr on this one.

Then I moved on to front squats. At this time there was another guy to squat with me. He was way shorter so we lowered the rack. I had to adjust the bar on my front rack from a semi-squat position =) I did doubles up to 120kg and the weight was comfortable at this stage still. The last 5kg increase on the weight sealed the deal. I took a single rep and was done.

There was no reason for me anymore to do those back squats but stubbornly I did some reps. My legs were not that receptive anymore at this stage.

Toni's workouts. Squat and bench press.

  • Back squat 5-5-5-5-5 (80, 90, 95, 100, 110kg)
  • Bench 5x80, 3x90, 1x100kg, 105 failed
  • 21-15-9, bench (50kg), burpees.

Here's a good article on why to have a training partner with you. Article from Fit As Fu*k

Take a look at Graham Holmberg - Games Champ from 2010 - performing this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment