Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thursday 20.6: Cleans and metcon

Thursday. Warm-up, cycling and Prasara Yoga. Strength: Cleans (all sets 80kg). Metcon, 3 rounds of Erin. Ancillary movements for arms and shoulders.

Today's set included some yoga to start with, heavy cleans followed by 3 rounds of benchmark wod Erin. I also did few sets of ancillary work for upper body in the end. And mobility. The coolest part of this session was the yoga set which I have now tried to occasionally include in my training hours.

Pauliina doing push press

Cleans. Sets of power clean and squat clean: 3x80, 5x80, 5x80, 5x80, 2x80kg. Today I decided to use a different type of approach in determining the weights on the barbell. Traditionally I've increased the kilos after each set for as long as it's possible. This time the weight stayed the same (80kg each set, bodyweight, 85% of max) and tried to finish it till the end. Original plan was to do triples but after first set I decided to go for 5's.

Attempting a pose called "half crow"

I wasn't quite sure what kind of cleans I'd like to do so finally I mixed power and squat cleans. Don't know if that's the smartest thing to do but anyway, on the first set I went all power cleans. On the second I took one power clean, on the third set 3 power cleans and on from then on only power versions. So 14/20 were power cleans.

It felt better to do power cleans instead of squat cleans. That's because those hamstrings were not that flexible even though I've tried to loosen the muscles. Considering those were power cleans, I must be happy with the amount of reps completed. On each set but the last I managed to push through the pre-determined sequence. There were a total of 20 reps. It wasn't long ago since I posted a clean single lift-PR video of 80kg.



Metcon. Didn't time this one.
  • 3 rounds of Erin:
  • 15 dumbbells split clean, 17.5kg
  • 21 pull-ups
This has been on my calendar for about 2 weeks now. I've been checking this workout earlier and today decided to hit 3 rounds of it after strength cleans. Clearly my upper back was not feeling totally fresh and I had some problems with pull-ups. Split cleans with dumbbells are something I haven't done ever in my life. Not a bad movement at all!

DB split clean


Yep, it looks a bit different when this guy does the same movements. Hopefully my mobility improves through this new practice method. Prasara Yoga - Half Crow




No comments:

Post a Comment