Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday 12.6: DU skills, shoulder press

Wednesday. DU skill. Shoulder press (max 60kg). Mobility.

Was so tired in the morning but after breakfast I was ready to get own my way to the gym. Schedule was concentrated in skills and mobility but couldn't skip strength totally. I did 5 sets of shoulder press, haven't been doing them after April?!? It feels like it wasn't that far away but I guess it was.


DU skills. For quality.
  • 200 reps
Another skill that needs to be practiced. Can not take this for granted. I trained and trained this for months and finally achieved a level where I feel comfortable moving up and down with the jump rope. My PR in consecutive repetitions in double unders is 100 reps but that seems like a distant dream currently. Only because I haven't been doing this skill movement. I put a note on my excel to incorporate double unders in metcons and in skills training sessions. Just like we used to do with Pony when we both were learning this skill fiercely.

Strength. Shoulder press, 5 sets.
  • 5x50, 4x55, 3x60, 4x60, 4x60kg
It was cool to do some old school stuff again. Five sets of shoulder press. I went on by feeling, not following a strict plan of doing something like 3's or 5's. I took off with 5x50, then added 5kg, and another 5kg to reach 60kg. After first set with that weight I realized there's no point in adding it to 65kg 'cause I wanted more than 1-2 reps. I repeated it and got 4 reps, what happened? Mental game. Took another and last set, completed 4 reps again. I liked it!

I used a lot of time in mobility between DU's and shoulder press as well as in the end of the training session. I felt like my muscles hurt and they needed some treatments. Activating, foam rolling and stretching the entire body.

Toni's workouts. Push press 5x60, 5x65, 3x70, 3x75, 3x80kg.

  • Metcon, not timed.
  • 30-20-10
  • Kettlebell swings, 24kg
  • Push-ups, surprise ;)
  • Air squats


Rory McKernan talks with "the dad"


1 comment:

  1. I just love push-ups. About 10 months ago I was not able to do 10 push-ups (chest to ground) but today I did 30 reps on a row easily and also 20/10 reps went unbroken.

    I've been travelling about five weeks now and I'm really waiting to get back to my home box.

    ReplyDelete