Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sunday 16.6: Handstand, kettlebell

Sunday. Handstand skills training. Kettlebell swings for 5.760kg.

As we woke up in the morning, there was a nice invitation from the in-laws to come and join them for Sunday lunch at their place. There was no doubt of hopping in the car and driving to enjoy the delicious food fest prepared by these awesome persons =) We were supposed to go to the gym and my schedule stood 3k rowing, 300 double unders as skills training and ring skills. I was soon to determine a new workout that can be done outdoors.



Handstand training. After a few hours of enjoying Pauliina's parents' company and having a full stomach I started with handstand training. At the time I started it was raining a bit but little by little the grass was soaking wet. And it had been raining for quite some time prior to my training. I might have been a bit too cautious with my kicks up. Okay, I performed okay but I've have better handstand trainings. There were times my body was stable.






Kettlebell EMOM metcon.
  • Every minute on the minute for 12 minutes
  • 15 kettlebell swings, 32kg
My car is always loaded with my kettlebells, my sugars 20kg and 32kg bells. I tried a new movement - turkish get-ups - and understood I've neglected this awesome movement for no reason whatsoever. Have to keep on adding that occasionally. I've read some kettlebell training stuff on recent articles on a web site that seems to be nearing perfection, breakingmuscle.com. This specific article opened my eyes to the benefits of working with kettlebells.


After trying out that new movement, I moved on to my workout of the day. It was all about kettlebell swings. Total of 5.760kg of them… Complete 15 reps of 32kg kb swings each minute. Repeat the same scheme for 12 minutes. I realized after 4 minutes it's gonna be a tough one. Breathing got heavier and most of all, my forearms were going numb. It took about 30 seconds to finish those 15 reps each minute.

After 6 minutes it was a struggle. I managed to run through about 8 rounds unbroken. Then I had to break it. First to 10+5, then 8+7, 8+4+3 and 5+5+5. That's what I remember. I was glad the workout was over! My forearms were totally in fire, and it hurt for a long time after the workout as well. A good workout in short time. My form stayed good the entire workout, no arching in the back. The swings were made american style, i.e. swinging it overhead, not eye-level.

Here's a clip from the end of the workout.



Second step in perfecting the handstand walk. Compliments from DowTown Crossfit and Dusty Hyland. Continuance to yesterday's opening part.

Virtuosity, Dusty Hyland: Handstand balance

1 comment: