Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday 26.8: Snatch, clean and jerk, row

Monday. Power snatch 3-3-3-3-3 (max 55kg), clean & jerk 3-3-3-3-3 (max 90kg). Interval rowing, 4x500m with 2:00 rest between sets.

Time for olympic lifts! I like those clean & jerks greatly, just loving them. Snatches have been more rare so I was eager to do them as well. I went pretty high on the c&j's so there was no juice for c&j metcon. Instead, I chose to do rowing for intervals.



Strength. Olympic lifts.
  • Power snatch 3-3-3-3-3 (50, 50, 55, 55, 55kg)
  • Clean & jerk 3-3-3-3-3 (70, 75, 80, 85, 90kg)

The last 5+ times I've been doing snatches, it's been mostly hang squat snatches. That's been because I've been practicing those at a venue where I can drop weights. My squat snatches haven't traditionally been the most stable ones so at least knowing it's ok to drop the weights, is necessary for me. In other words, it's been a while since doing snatches as strength training. Today I did them as power snatches 'cause I was at home gym. Had decided on the weights on both movements beforehand and focused on staying with those weights.

I felt good snatching, very good indeed. Had no problems lifting the barbell overhead each set. That was somehow startling it went up so easily. There was no doubt at all whether the bar is coming up or not. I was tempted to go for 60kg in the last set but stayed at 55kg anyway. I wanted to get those reps touch'n'go style.

Those clean & jerks, huh, went heavy on those. I actually realized at home that 90kg is my pr in clean & jerk. I've cleaned 100kg and jerked 95kg but c&j's max load was 87.5kg before today =) Have to try that one some day soon by going after singles. Let's see.

On the first set I was able to go straight up after clean, just bouncing it off my shoulders and jerk it up. From 75kg on I started doing squat cleans just to prepare for the heavier loads. I don't know but my wild guess is I could power clean something around 85-90kg. I knew it would be inevitable to do squat cleans at some point so I wanted to prepare my legs and hip flexors for that movement early on. The last sets were done with split jerk.

Last 2 sets (85 & 90kg) were practically done in 3 x singles. Do way I'm doing 3 reps without correcting my grip and letting my forearms release the tension for a short break. Still, I'm proud I was able to do all those reps today without any misses. 90kg is a lot for me, and I got all 3 of them successfully.

Intervals.
  • 4 sets of 500m rowing
  • 2:00 rest between sets

My pace was around 1.43 on the last 3 sets, and a little slower on the first one, 1.46/500m. This is some sort of mental stuff, I've noticed. When I'm doing intervals, I find myself improving sticking to my time or improving it round by round. Very rarely have I done slower in the latter rounds. Guess that's a good thing that I kind of like to compete against myself.

Toni's workouts. Kipping pull-ups, squats and metcon
  • Skills, 4x5 pull-ups
  • Strength, back squat 5-5-5-5-5 (90, 100, 110, 112.5, 115kg)
  • Metcon, 12min amrap of: 5 back squats (100kg), 5 hspu (scaled to foam roll). Result 5+3 squats


Awesome mobility clip from K-Star!





1 comment:

  1. Over 5000 kg with squats today. Good way to start the week. I'm happy about my pull ups, today I was able to perform 4 x 5 beautiful kipping pull ups. One of my this years goals is 20 unbroken pull ups so just keep on pulling Pony :)

    ReplyDelete