Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday 25.8: Hiking in the woods + handstand

Sunday. Hiking in the woods + handstand.

Together with my love and my in-laws we headed towards a forest where you can find kilometers worth of nature's beauty and a lot of hiking possibilities. Walking in the middle of the wild when nature shows its best with deep forest and ponds looming around the corner was simply beautiful. We found some toys to play with so we were able to do some workout as well. Once we came back to the house I practiced my handstand skills and some light kettlebell technique and sandbag cleans. Father-in-law did a metcon with burpees and kb presses =)





Active playing. Lot of playing in the woods

  • 4.5km hike in the forest
  • Pull-ups
  • Muscle-ups
  • Toes-to-bars
  • Box jumps
  • Pistol squats
  • Overhead squats
  • Wood thrusters
  • Ground to shoulder with sand bag





Cool Sunday action to say the least! Enjoyed the activity tremendously and so did the others, I hope =) There were a few workout stations with pull-up bars and wood thruster possibilities. Plus the nature shared its own tools with big stones I was barely able to jump on top of them or over them.





And for some reason I love logs. Found some of them in the woods and did some running with them carrying them overhead and doing overhead squats. I bet there are plenty of good sized stones laying around as well in order to do some ground-to-shoulder type of training, just like you can do with atlas stones. Maybe some day I can get as creative that I'd just head to forest and find proper equipment to play around with. I've been thinking about the kind of workouts after following intensely at Blair Morrison's blog.





Handstand. Few hours later I worked on my handstand skills at the back yard. As I've written earlier, this place is perfect for handstand skills training. I felt very confident being inverted and it was easy to find piece being upside down. The feeling of being able to balance yourself is awesome. I still remember the time when I collapsed each time I lost balance. Now I'm able to correct the position with my hands and continue stabilizing or even walking forward being inverted.




Thanks to you Maija and Kari for hosting us this weekend!






4 comments:

  1. That pistol squad photo is definitely this years "nature pic" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should I send it to crossfit.com? =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the next level in today's metcon - thanks to Tommi. Thank you both Tommi and Pauliina for a very nice weekend 😊! BR, Maija & Kari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome to see you work out with the kettlebells nowadays! 10min amrap of burpees and kb presses gets heart rate up instantly :)

    ReplyDelete