Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tuesday 13.8: DU skills, split jerks, ohs, running metcon

Tuesday. Du skills. Split jerks 3-3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1 (max PR 95kg). Overhead squats 3-3-3 (max 60kg). Metcon, pair wod with bro. Time around 21 min.

Training day with my bro, Sipa, was destined to be tough! A lot of work, took a lot of time as well. Jump rope skills to begin with. Strength training of split jerks from rack, then overhead squats. Finally a bad ass running metcon. C'mon!



Skills. Double unders. For some reason my du's didn't rock today. My shins were aching from the very first rep so I missed the relaxed feet to make it successful. I've progressed to a good level in the du's and in the last du-metcon was able to nail 30-rep sets unbroken. Today it was sticky both in the skills and metcon part. I wasn't able to keep my legs straight, had to bend them and make it more taxing in all ways.



Jerks. 3-3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1 (60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, PR 95kg, 100kg failed). Yeah baby!!! Got a new personal record! We took the barbell from the rack and focused purely on the jerk part. Got to try clean & jerk from ground as well someday but today's focus was on the jerk only. We've taken some split jerk training lately and this was a continuance to that progress.

Starting with 3x3, then 3x2 and finally 3xsingles, with increasing weights naturally. I took off from 60kg, adding 5kg after each set. I had it written in the calendar already couple of days ago that I'm gonna put 95kg in the air with my straight hands. I've had the time to mentally prepare for that specific lift. It's been haunting me since the last time I tried that weight in this same place.

I felt like my technique looked quite similar in all lifts. Surely there's a lot to do, no one can argue about that but still I feel tremendously happy that I'm able to maintain some sort of technical persistence. The lifts looked pretty much alike. The weight wasn't heavy today. Even though it was a very tough week and weekend I was able to get through this day with pride.

My bro also is in the early steps of split jerks so we both felt today's lifts took as forward. Still, got to be lifting way more to get technique better.




Overhead squats. 3-3-3 (50, 60, 60kg). This is the strong area of my bro. He's been taking 80kg overhead squats in the past while my 1RM is at 70kg. Today I stayed at 50-60kg on the sets. At first the bar felt like a feather after having almost 100kg on the bar. Once we hit 50kg+ the game changed a lot. The burden started to feel on the shoulders and wrists and it was difficult to maintain a good solid stance and form. My knees leaned way too much forward and I wasn't able to "sit in the hole" by putting weight on the heels. Sipa made a better effort on this one.




Metcon. Time around 21min

  • 500m run / max effort wall balls, 9kg
  • 500m run / max effort double unders
  • 500m run / max effort burpees
  • 500m run / max effort wall balls, 9kg

This was a nice one. We pondered around this for some days =) Both wanted to have running as main ingredient and then bodyweight movements accompanied as well. My goal was to have wall balls 'cause I know my bro has one. Then we agreed on the above.

I started with running while Sipa stayed to go all-in with wall balls. Once I finished running, we switched places, he went running and I continued with wb's. On the next round the bodyweight was du's, then burpees and finishing with wall balls again. So this was a pair wod with 4km running for time. In between we completed as many reps as possible while the partner was running.

I got 60 wall balls on the first round, 100 du's, 45 burpees and 50 wb's in the end. Sipa always started with the movement while I was running so once I got to the bodyweight movement, I knew how many reps he'd done so I had a good number where to target. Always trying to top his score of course.

There might be something awkwardly wrong with me but I love wall balls… I've heard people hate them. It's a tough movement and let's no part of your body to rest. Kind of like a lighter version of a thruster. Got a total of 110 reps today. Looking forward to performing Karen some day, which is 150 wb's for time with 9kg weight.

But those double unders. I'm disappointed in my body not being able to work strongly with them today. Don't remember when I have struggled this much with them. At this point my breathing was heavy though, I jumped through 100 reps while Sipa ran that 500m distance.

Burpees at this point of the game were painful. The only reason I got to 45 reps was because I knew my bro had done 43. The only thing bouncing in my head was to beat that score. In the end the wall balls were naturally tougher than in the end so I reached the 50 rep mark.

These strange place workouts with Sipa and/or Toni are spectacular. These allows us to drop barbells which eases the programming by concentrating olympic lifts to these days. Couldn't try 100kg jerks at my own Box 'cause dropping is not allowed. Have to keep on coming to weightlifting spots in the winter time as well. Thanks bro for today's training session!!!


Wall balls by Sipa

Toni's workouts. Push jerk and a metcon.

  • Push jerk 5-5-5-5-5 (40, 50, 60, 60, 65kg)
Toni's metcon. Time 8.45
  • 6 rounds of:
  • 8 push jerk, 50kg
  • 8 abmat sit-ups with 6kg med ball



No comments:

Post a Comment