Saturday, October 31, 2020

Thu 29.10: Josh

Thursday. Hero wod Josh. Time, 8.55

Third win for this week. Pre-planned workouts. Okay, today was only a 1-piece training session but it was a benchmark workout. Plus it included overhead squats. That's something I haven't done in ages. I'd say it's been at least a year. Why is that? My mobility in my shoulders is not ideal to say the least and it takes a ton of mobility to get to a good overhead squat position. And it still is not perfect. I have always struggled this position, same with the snatch. Nowadays as I do not have that much time I tend to neglect both elements: ohs and snatch.




Hero wod Josh. Time, 8.55 (PR). Compare to 15.12.2014
  • 21 overhead squats  @40kg
  • 42 pull-ups
  • 15 overhead squats @ 40kg
  • 30 pull-ups
  • 9 overhead squats @ 40kg
  • 18 pull-ups
Still, I got this idea out of the blue, and couldn't dump it. So I saved one entire session for this benchmark workout. I realized beforehand that this is also going to be quite intense. I hoped my ohs would be completed unbroken. And they did. Every set was its own battle. First was simply so long set that it taxed my shoulders. Maybe if I had the bar in a perfect position it would be a lot easier but the reality is that I do not. On the pull-ups I wanted to go by my traditional strategy: try to wolf down a big junk of reps to start with, then just live through it. I took 25 reps, then 10 and 7 reps to finish it.

On the second round I chipped away those 15 ohs with a good battle. I felt the form collapsing in the last couple of reps but because the barbell was light I was able to stick to it. On the pull-ups I chewed 16 on the first attempt, then 8 and 6 reps to reach a total of 30 reps.

Last round was mentally the easiest with only 9 ohs and 18 reps. Ohs unbroken and pull-ups were 12+3+3 reps. My grip was gone after 10 reps but got those 12 to start with. That was mentally much better so I was able to get those needed extra 6 reps much quicker. This was about 2 minute PR compared to previous Josh so I'll take this anytime.





No comments:

Post a Comment