Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday 20.4: Kb/Db, Squats, Lunges, Ball slam, Box

Monday. Warm-up, 10min emom. Odd min 15 kb swing (24kg), even min 4 TGU (10kg db). Back squat 5x7 (110-120kg). Metcon, 4rds of: 10 walking lunges (40kg), 15 ball slam, 20 box. Time, 9.35.

Evening was scheduled for work so it was morning training or no training. It was a mental battle. Early morning workouts are not my thing. I'd rather go do my thing at noon and/or after work. It wasn't far from being just a light workout outdoors but man am I glad I got my shit together and drove to OPCenter for a good session!


Warm-up.

  • Every minute on the minute x 10
  • Odd minutes, 15 kettlebell swing, 24kg
  • Even minutes, 2/2 turkish get-ups, 10kg dumbbell

After basic warm-up, foam rolling, stretching and mobility I took a kettlebell and light dumbbell to get my heart rate up a bit and get joints loosened up. The tool for this was kettlebell swings and turkish get-ups. Kettlebell was light and so was the dumbbell for Tgu's. This was on purpose. No need to put a lot of effort on this one strength wise. The goal for this was to open up my shoulders, back and the entire posterior chain, and get a good sweat. Mission accomplished.

Turkish get-ups are something I do maybe once every 6 months =) There's no certain reason to this, it's just not part of the basic elements in my tool box. As I did it today I realized it's actually a pretty good movement. Especially to activate shoulders. Very good.



Strength.

  • Back squat 5x7 (110, 115, 120, 120, 120kg)

Wasn't looking forward to this one. I knew it's gonna be rough. What's wrong with me. Last time it was 4x8, now 5x7. These long sets are brutal. These all were supposed to be at 115kg, kind of a progression is in my mind. Building up the sets. First set was anyway 110kg, then I added to 115kg. It came up okay so I decided to climb up a bit more. The last 3 sets were @ 120kg so actually this was heavier than it was supposed to be originally.

My goal was to do the sets as fast as possible. I really crawled in to that dark place in these sets. I have usually done heavier sets in singles. Then pause on the top, inhale and do another rep. This time I did couple of reps in a row touch'n'go (3-5 reps), then a pause before continuing. Doing them this style really put my legs numb for a while after each set. Felt horrible. But I'm proud of this session.

Back squats


Metcon. Time, 9.35

  • 4 rounds of:
  • 10 overhead walking lunges, 40kg barbell
  • 15 ball slams, 9kg ball
  • 20 box jump

Lunges are super! The gym was pretty much empty so I had plenty of space to do overhead walking lunges for 10 meters / 10 steps. After that it was supposed to be 15 pull-ups but my lats are sore from last couple of days pulling so I changed this on the fly to ball slams. Don't know where that idea came from! But it was awesome. The heaviest ball was 9kg so obviously not that heavy but it sure worked well! Box jumps are always great.


Round times remained solid for all 4 rounds (2.12, 2.32, 2.31, 2.18), good good. It could always be faster but at least it was not 100% in the beginning and 60% in the end. That's something I don't want to see in my workouts.

These were all unbroken sets no matter the movement. It would be awesome to get my hands on a really heavy medball. No idea how it would feel like but doing medball-to-shoulder's would be freaking sick! I'd do that kind of workout any day.

Metcon




No comments:

Post a Comment