Monday, April 6, 2015

Monday 6.4: Clean and Jerk, Emom, 10min amrap

Monday. Clean and jerk singles (up to 90kg). Emom x 10min: 3 c&j @ 70kg. Metcon, 10min amrap of: 5 push jerk (60kg), 10 pull-ups, 15 box. Result, 185 reps.

It was about time to get a hardcore metcon in this body! First I took some clean and jerk singles, just focusing on getting good reps in the system. That emom workout was rather tough in the end. And the final part of the session was intense as hell.


Oly.

  • Clean and jerk singles
  • 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 85, 90kg

Last week I took jerks from rack and I reported how my left shoulder was in pain, and has been for some time in heavier overhead lifts. Then, I widened my grip on the barbell and it eased the pain a lot. So I was anxious today of hitting clean and jerks. Focus was on getting good reps in the bank and use that wider grip as it was proved a good thing.


Wasn't going heavy anyway. Just took some singles and wanted to secure my technique is on the spot and that different grip gets comfortable, and there wouldn't be any soreness in left shoulder. All goals were pretty much met. Technique is always something to be improved but the main thing is that this was a pain-free zone this time.

Clean and jerks


Muscle endurance.

  • Every minute on the minute, for 10min
  • Clean and jerk
  • 3 reps @ 70kg

After going rather heavy I dropped back 20kg to make it a 70kg bar. Idea was to do couple of reps every minute for 10 minutes. Emom workouts are great in general but even more bad ass when it's clean and jerk. It makes pulse go faster after every set. Okay, there was plenty of recovery time after each set and the bar was tolerable in weight but still it got intense during those 10 minutes.

I wanted to do all reps touch'n'go style in unbroken sets, and got them. Had I done it some other way, I would have been disappointed. That was not going to happen. The first set was a little off as I hit the bar on my chin on the very first rep. That wasn't cool but I finished the set immediately anyway.

C&J emom


Metcon. Result, 185 reps (6 rounds + 5 jerk)

  • 10min amrap of:
  • 5 push jerk, 60kg
  • 10 pull-ups
  • 15 box

This was bad. Jerks and pull-ups are traditionally quite a combo. This was simple 5-10-15 rep triplet of classic elements. I wanted the length of this one to be not short but not long. So that I would have to keep on moving, and that I could keep up a rather solid pace all the way. This was a perfect time domain for that. At first I was thinking about 8 minutes but then locked it to a full ten minutes.

Hard to say which one was the toughest part of this workout. They all had their twists. Holding the barbell was not tempting after every round but somehow I got my hands around it. Obviously it had to be unbroken.

Metcon

Pull-ups were only 10 reps per round so they were unbroken. Going right away to them after jerks is much more challenging than it would for example after box jumps. But having 2 elements for upper body like this might be hard in the long run or if the reps would have been higher. I was able to use my legs / hips / lower body much more efficient than normally. I focused on bringing my legs back when I come down from the top. That really helped a lot. Got to remember this in the future too.

Box jumps kept my heart beat to the roof all the way. Had one no-rep during the metcon so I had to repeat that one of course. Very good and simple workout for sure. Go ahead and do this one if you want traditional crossfit stuff done.

Natural grips. Am I doing something wrong with them as they tend to slide to the side of my palm when doing pull-ups

Walk 8km. In the evening we went for a long walk with my loved one. Walked around the beautiful Töölönlahti lake in downtown Helsinki. That was an awesome walk route and made good for recovery purposes.




No comments:

Post a Comment