Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thursday 23.4: Hspu, T2b, Cleans, Mu, Ohs

Thursday. Emom x 10: odd min 10 hspu, even min 15 t2b. Emom x 9, ladder of squat cleans (up to 105kg). Workout, 3rnft: 6 bar mu, 12 ohs (40kg).

This time I took some easy skills which turned out to be not so easy after all. Good one. Then heavier squat cleans to get some more strength and explosiveness in this body, focusing on speed and powerful hip extension. Last piece was also skill based work, consisting of muscle-ups (this time on a pull-up bar) and light overhead squats.


Skills.
  • Every minute on the minute x 10 min
  • Odd minutes, 10 handstand push-ups
  • Even minutes, 15 toes-to-bar
This was supposed to be a good warm-up, not super heavy, just get heart rate up, work these skills, and work on efficient mechanics. And okay, it wasn't that heavy. Hspu's were easier than t2b's. I went unbroken on hspu's and focus was to do them efficiently, quickly and in touch'n'go style. Only the last 2 reps of the 50 total reps I had to pause in the bottom position before finishing them.

T2b's were a bit tougher. Maybe last 2 sets of these were a bit challenging but there was still no doubt I would finish then unbroken too. It brought pressure on my core and grip and I felt my forearms were tingling for a while after this workout.




Strength.
  • Every minute on the minute x 9 minutes
  • Squat cleans
  • 1-3min: 3 x 85kg
  • 4-6min: 2 x 95kg
  • 7-9min: 1 x 105kg
Heavy cleans are something I would never get enough of. I simply love 'em! And it's not a bad choice at all, ever. And preferably squat cleans. For metcons power cleans are usually the ones that wins the coin toss but for strength it's usually squat cleans.

This was a great emom workout. I took all reps in singles. Dropped the bar, and picked it right up. At first it was triples, then doubles and finally singles, increasing load after every 3 minutes. It took me something like 15 seconds to finish those triples, and probably about the same time on the doubles.

Singles @ 105kg felt good too. Got to admit though that it was a bit intimidating to jump 10kg up after 95kg. I usually don't do this kind of jumps at heavy weights. I prefer smaller steps. And in an emom workout like this where all sets were kind of challenging I had to mentally step up and tell myself to drop under the bar without doubts. This went perfectly! It's a pity I didn't get a chance to take them on camera.



Workout.
  • 3 rounds not for time of:
  • 6 bar muscle-ups
  • 12 overhead squat, 40kg
I was thinking about making this a metcon of 12-9-6-3 of the same movements but to be honest my body didn't feel like it's gonna take it well. Plus all the pull-up bars were taken (for the first time ever) so I wasn't sure how I would get my hands on those muscle-up stations. This didn't bother me at all this time, it was kind of a relief actually =)

Anyway, I wanted to do bar muscle-ups so it was a 3-rounder. First 2 rounds were unbroken on the mu's, and the last set was 4-1-1. There was big gains on this one as I did only good looking reps. Very proud of those. It's paying off as I've been knocking lots of mu's this month. I believe there's been a total of about 140 reps already. All because of this new training place.

On overhead squats I wanted to move without hasting too much, focusing on going deep and keeping my weight on heels. No idea how it looked like but at least it was stable action. All sets were unbroken of course as there weren't that many reps for this weight.



No comments:

Post a Comment