Saturday, December 12, 2015

Saturday 12.12: Interval work, Linnamasters

Saturday. AM. Metcon, 4rds of: 5 hspu, 10 power clean (60kg), 15 burpee, 20 kb swing (24kg), 25 wb, 3min rest. PM. Linnamasters throwdown in Hämeenlinna.

Great crossfit day! We were about to head to Hämeenlinna - about one hour away from Helsinki - to witness my brother's first ever crossfit competition. First event for him was going to start at 10.50 so we had to go to the gym at 08.00 in order to get a good session with Toni.



Metcon.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 5 handstand push-ups
  • 10 power cleans, 60kg
  • 15 burpees
  • 20 kettlebell swing, 24kg
  • 25 wall ball shots, 9kg
  • 3min rest between rounds

This was arrogantly stolen from competitorstraining.com, a.k.a. from Ben Bergeron's programming. Funnily we both had this in mind for this week. Together with Toni we decided to go after it this morning. I'm telling you it wasn't an easy decision to wake up at 6.15, eat breakfast and head to Vantaa to pick my buddy up for an early morning bro session.


It was dark outside and streets were empty. Somehow I managed to get my shit together pretty well and was at Toni's place even before I was supposed to, c'mon. Our training session took place in Crossfit 01300, located in Tikkurila, Vantaa. Gym was great. Enough space, everything one needs and barbells felt good in hands too. For some reason I brought my own wall ball as it was laying around in my car anyway.




We thought this workout would have a different kind of nature. The stimulus was exactly right though. It hurt already after the first round hehe. Okay maybe the morning felt in our bodies somewhat. Yesterday evening (when I felt fresh and energetic) I thought about pushing through the wall balls unbroken.


Yep, that was not going to happen. Hspu's were the easy part of this workout. I'd say way too easy. Just 5 reps and always in the beginning of the round when feeling fresh and breathing was in control. Only thing was that when coming down from the wall I felt a bit "dizzy" and felt like I had to get used to being the other way around before touching the bar.



On the power cleans my original plan was to do them 6-4 or 5-5 but already on the first round I changed the plan as I realized Toni was knocking them one by one in singles. That turned out to be a great plan and forearms remained okay all the way, and didn't get shot during the workout. Luckily it was okay to drop the bar after every rep.


Burpees… Huh, those were not nice, at all. I was able to pace them pretty well and didn't have to divide them in any way but those really sky rocketed my heart beat. After couple of reps it was time to think about a happy place and just do it.



Kettlebell swings were light ones. I'm not used to do work at this weight normally. 2-pood is the standard one. In this one this 24kg was a positive surprise (it was rx'd). It wasn't easy to have my hands right after burpees as the plan was to do them unbroken. In the latter rounds I maybe should have caught the kb a bit earlier. I just tried to settle the breathing a bit before the first swings.

First 2 rounds


Last movement was wall balls. That is considered somewhat a strength of mine. It didn't show today =) First round was 15-10, then they were probably something like 10-8-7 or 12-7-6, not quite sure of the precise numbers. I had muscle-ups written in my program for skills training but there was not enough time nor energy to go after them. We had to jump in the car and head to Hämeenlinna to watch the Masters throwdown.

Last 2 rounds


This was my brother's first ever competition so I was definitely going to cheer him up. Luckily Toni also had free schedule so he joined me on this road trip. Lots of respect to all the competitors aged between 40-59 years. There was even one grandpa at 60+. Great engines and lots of strength was witnessed at Crossfit Hämeenlinna.

It's not self evident that everyone at this age can perform all the tricks these athletes were able to do. It was mind blowing to see them give everything they have and leave it at the battlefield! My bro smashed a clean and jerk PR as it was part of one event, congrats Sipa!

55+ ladies smashing clean and jerks!

The events in Linnamasters were

Event 1.
  • Modified Jackie
  • 1.000m row
  • 30 thrusters, 30kg
  • 20 chest-to-bar pull-ups
  • 8min time cap
Bro

Event 2.
  • Find 1 rep max of ground-to-overhead in 6 minutes
  • Right into 2min amrap
  • 2-2, 4-4, 6-6, 8-8… of:
  • Toes-to-bar
  • Hand release push-ups
Easy money at 80kg. He finished up with 95kg PR


Event 3.
  • 8 turkish get-ups, 24kg
  • 40 kettlebell snatches, 24kg
  • 30 burpee box jump overs
  • 40 kettlebell front rack lunges, 24kg
  • 40 kettlebell swings, 24kg
  • 17min time cap

Final event about to start




2 comments:

  1. What a day, I'm definitely at hook for competition and feeling, atmosphere etc as competitor☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah I can tell! There's no doubt about it. You got to hit the next comp whenever it shows up =) -Don

    ReplyDelete