Monday, September 14, 2015

Monday 14.9: Snatch, Squat, Lunges, Pull-ups

Monday. Snatch + Hang snatch, 8 sets @ 55kg. Back squat triples (up to 140kg). Metcon, 5 rnft of: 15 pull-ups, 40m lunges.

Sunday was a compulsory rest day as my throat was still not in good condition. It wasn't perfect today either but better still. I needed to get some action going on at the gym. Monday means some sort of olympic lifts, today it was snatches. Also squats and some metcon style work of lunges and pull-ups.



Oly.

  • Snatch + Hang snatch
  • 8 sets @ 55kg

This was a lot of fun. Okay, it obviously needs a lot of work but that's what I'm focusing on right now. I've taken steps to improve on my shoulder mobility which will hopefully have an impact on the bottom position. Plus the first pull is a lot slower than it used to be back in the days when I felt like the need to rush the bar up to the hips.

Positive thing is that I'm not jumping forward anymore. That's a big thing. I'm concentrating on keeping my feet closer together because when I go wide, it's more difficult for me to drop below parallel. I'd also like to see myself showing armpits to the public. And that's what I'm witnessing on the video below. Those are pointing forward. Maybe all the mobility I did prior to the barbell work paid off this time. It was targeted purely on shoulder mobility.

Set of snatches


Strength. Compare to 26.4.2014

  • Back squat triples (100, 115, 130, 138, 138, 138, 140kg)

This was great. I've done a triple at 140kg sometime in the past once. Today's loads were determined beforehand. Only the last one was something I changed on the fly. The original weight seemed a bit absurd at 145kg. My last 3RM was 140kg so I didn't have enough balls to believe in this new weight.

There were couple of easier sets before getting to 138 kilos. Those were good working sets. Heavy-ish but still very much doable. So I changed the last set to 140kg and took it up nicely. There was really no doubt of hitting that weight. Maybe it was a bit too conservative but after those 138's it felt like a good choice.

Squats


Metcon.

  • 5 rounds not for time of:
  • 15 pull-ups
  • 40m lunges

I needed to get my heart beat up. On the other hand I did't wanna risk anything so this was something in between. Good set of pull-ups - every set intentionally unbroken - to get a good burn in my lats and to get a decent volume on this movement as well. At the end of the workout I did additional 25 reps to reach a total of 100 reps.

Lunges are always surprisingly tough on lower body. Even though I didn't have any weight on they started to burn legs. Went unbroken still. The grass mat is 20m long so the idea was to go both ways from end to end. Even though I didn't have a timer running, I did this in a similar way as a normal metcon. I'm especially happy on how little time the transition took after lunges. I just walked to the pull-up bar and started ripping.




No comments:

Post a Comment