Sunday, May 17, 2020

Sunday 17.5: Back squat, Accessories

Sunday. Back squat 3 x 6-4-2 @ 90 - 130kg. Accessories: good morning, 1-leg romanian deadlift, seated press.

Today was supposed to be all about posterior chain. Back squats witnessed a new progression, similar to the one I did somewhere in the end of last year. It worked well so I decided to give it a go. Lets' see, this was the first session. Weather forecast told it's gonna rain only in the afternoon so I wrote to go after a deadlift progression. Per as usual, the forecast was wrong and it rained a lot so there was not a possibility to carry my gym matt, barbells and plates to the drive way which is my place to pull heavy. Kids are sleeping close to the gym so that's not a possibility to keep bouncing the barbell close in near proximity.



Strength.
  • 6-4-2 @ 90, 100, 110kg
  • 6-4-2 @ 100, 110, 120kg
  • 6-4-2 @ 110, 120, 130kg
This was originally written by Ben Bergeron if my remember right. My friend Toni introduced me to this progression. We already hit this once somewhere in November - December. Squatted once a week for a total of 5-6 sessions. The goal was to increase 2kg per session. That means the heaviest double would be 140kg. That was a time of celebration. I'm looking to go after those number in the home gym too.



Accessories.
  • 4 rounds of:
  • 10 good mornings @ 60kg
  • 8+8 one-leg romanian deadlifts @ 2x25kg dumbbells
  • 12 seated press
This was written on the spot. Some good mornings, 1-legged romanians and seated presses. The first two are pretty straightforward. Seated presses changed a bit during the four rounds because that's something I don't do much and couldn't plan them perfectly in advance. I always worked left hand first, then right side.

First round was 12 reps @ 15kg dumbbell. That seemed a bit too easy. On the second and third round I grabbed a heavier db and completed 6 reps @ 25kg, then dropped that and immediately completed another 6 reps with 15kg dumbbell to reach that same 12 total reps for the set.

On the fourth and last round I decided to go for as many reps as possible with the heavier db (25kg), then drop it and do the same trick with the lighter db (15kg). I started with left hand, could barely complete 10 reps @ 25kg and another 6 reps @ 15kg before my shoulder went numb. It turned out the rep scheme was similar when trying it with the right hand. This was fun to do some old school meat head stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment